what category was hurricane igor in newfoundland


what category was hurricane igor in newfoundland

Category of hurricane

A “Category” is a measure of the hurricane’s intensity at the time of its closest approach to the U.S. coastline. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) assigns a Category to every hurricane at landfall by taking into account the storm’s maximum sustained winds and central pressure.The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale is a 1 to 5 ranking of a hurricane’s sustained winds. The scale is based on the maximum sustained winds a hurricane can reach over a period of about ten minutes. The higher the Category, the more destructive the hurricane.Historically, about 80% of all fatalities associated with landfalling hurricanes have been from storm surge. The other 20% have been from wind and rain.Category 1 Category 1 hurricanes are the least dangerous of all the hurricane categories. These storms usually have maximum sustained winds of 74-95 mph and a central pressure of 992-999 millibars.Category 1 hurricanes can

What happened in newfoundland

In October of 2016, a massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the Atlantic Ocean floor off the coast of Newfoundland. The quake was felt throughout the province, and caused significant damage to infrastructure and homes.This was the most powerful earthquake to ever hit Newfoundland, and the fourth-strongest quake in Canadian history. The quake was also felt in parts of the United States and Europe.Despite the damage caused by the quake, there were no reports of serious injuries or fatalities. This is likely due to the fact that the earthquake occurred relatively deep below the ocean floor, and most of the damage was confined to coastal areas.

Impact of hurricane

A hurricane is a type of tropical cyclone, a storm system characterized by a low pressure center and numerous thunderstorms that produce strong winds and rain. Hurricanes form over tropical waters and can cause catastrophic damage to coastal areas, particularly those in their path.The impact of a hurricane can be devastating. Winds can reach up to 200 miles per hour, destroying buildings and infrastructure. Flooding can occur due to the heavy rains, and storm surges can cause extensive damage to coastal areas. Hurricanes can also spawn tornadoes, which can cause additional damage.In recent years, the impact of hurricanes has been exacerbated by climate change. As the Earth warms, the oceans warm as well, providing more energy for hurricanes to grow stronger. Additionally, sea level rise caused by climate change can make coastal areas more vulnerable to flooding from hurricanes.The damage caused by hurricanes can be costly and take years to rebuild. In addition to the physical damage, hurricanes can also cause extensive damage to

Aftermath of hurricane

HarveyHouston, we have a problem.We all know by now that Hurricane Harvey has wreaked havoc on the city of Houston and the surrounding areas. The storm has caused unprecedented flooding, leaving many people stranded and in need of assistance.So what happens now?Well, first and foremost, the city of Houston and its residents need our support. Please consider donating to one of the many relief funds set up to help those affected by this disaster.In terms of the cleanup process, it’s going to be a long and difficult road. Houston is going to need all the help it can get to rebuild and recover.If you’re in a position to lend a hand, please do so. There are many volunteer organizations accepting donations of time and resources.And finally, let’s keep Houston in our thoughts. This is going to be a long and difficult road to recovery, but the people of Houston are strong and they will get through

Recent Posts